Lecture: Introduction to the demoscene
Ever witnessed a program doing something you couldn't believe was possible? Amazed by ShaderToy experiments or people misusing hardware bugs in computers from the 80s? Do you want to participate, but don't know where to start? This presentation gives a broad overview of the demoscene, both technically and socially, and gives a few pointers on where to start making demos yourself.
This presentation will touch on the history of the demoscene, the particular (technical) aspects of various platforms, the social aspects of the scene and the reason why people make these demos. References to more in-depth information will be given throughout the presentation, and there should be something for anyone, from the social scientist to the person who loves gritty technical details.
Start time: 15:00
Room: talk room
- Wikipedia entry on the Demoscene (NOTE: most stuff on Wikipedia about the demoscene is a bit outdated)
- Database of demoscene productions
- Another database, with a forum. Beware of trolls.
- List of upcoming demoparties
- A useful resource for beginners